Apollonia, the mediaeval Sozopolis, was situated on a high spur projecting north-westwards from the Kapı Dağı mountain range, overlooking the modern town of Uluborlu. Like its neighbour to the east, Antioch by Pisidia (modern Yalvaç), Apollonia lay on the northernmost stretch of the Augustan Via Sebaste, connecting Augustus’ five Pisidian colonies (Olbasa, Komama, Kremna, Parlais, Antioch).1
Ballance recorded 15 ancient and mediaeval monuments at Uluborlu in the summer of 1956, along with single stones from the neighbouring village of Mahmutlar (MAMA XI 13) and the large nearby town of Senirkent (MAMA XI 18). He also recorded three monuments at Yassıören, 10km east of Apollonia, the site of the ancient village of Tymandos, which was granted independent city-status at some point in the early fourth century AD (MAMA XI 7, 11, 19).2 Finally, Ballance rediscovered an important milestone on the Via Sebaste east of Tymandos, at Gençali, where the road skirted the northern shore of Eğirdir Gölü (MAMA XI 9).
List of monuments from Apollonia
1. MAMA IV 136-225; Robert 1963: 353-60; Aulock 1979: 20-3, 52-63; TIB Phrygien 387-8, s.v. Sōzopolis; Cohen 1995: 285-90; Labarre, Özsait, Özsait and Güceren 2012. Augustan foundations and Via Sebaste: Levick 1967: 7-41; Bru 2009.
2. MAMA IV 226-264; TIB Phrygien 408-9, s.v. Tymandos; Bru, Labarre and Özsait 2009.
© University of Oxford