MAMA XI 85 (Sebaste)
Funerary bomos of Paithos and family, Christians
- Type of monument:
- Funerary bomos.
- Sebaste: at an ancient site, among rubble from the destruction of an early Christian church, between Pıyanlı and Balıkkaya.
- Marble bomos, broken above, with defaced mouldings. On the left side, in relief, hammer and bill-hook; on the right, spindle, distaff and comb.
- Ht. 0.74+; W. 0.27-0.28 (shaft); Th. 0.26-0.28 (shaft); letters 0.016-0.020.
- Squeeze; line drawing; MB notebook copy; photograph (1956/44).
- Fıratlı 1970: 120, with Res. 70 (description and photo only); Gibson 1978: 106-7, no. 34; (SEG 28, 1084; Tabbernee 1997: 176-9, no. 23).
- Third century AD.
ἡ γυνὴ αὐτοῦ
Ἀμμία Παιθῳ ἀ-
5ανῷ κὲ Ἀλεξαν-
δρία Παιθῳ ἀν-
δρὶ κὲ τὰ παιδία
Menophilos and his wife Ammia for Paithos, his brother, a Christian; and Alexandria for Paithos, her husband, and their children; they made this, in memoriam.